Saturday, October 14, 2017

I think I'll move back to linux

  After writing this post, I started using my old laptop, with Artengos.  And it's been some time since I turned on the Acer laptop.  I did try Manjaro Linux live on it via USB, and honestly browsing was much faster than on windows 10.  I have moved my pictures from Amazon Drive to SmugMug, which was the main reason I decided to get a Windows (10) just because it was already on it, to automate the upload of images.  As I mentioned earlier Amazon changed the plan from $12/year unlimited photo's to $59/year for 1TB.  While, I probably won't reach the 1TB in say 5-10 years, I lost trust in them.  Who knows when will they change again?
  In the mean time, I also found a way to move my backed up images from Amazon Drive, directly into SmuMug, who I've used for quiet some time, now they will be used exclusively for my picture's/memories stories, as their service is top notch, with excellent customer support.  Compared to Amazons support which is below average, it took them about 1 week to reset my account as it was hacked. Each contact from support gave me a round around the corner, and back. Until I took it to twitter, I believe then it was like 4-6 hours to resolution.
  Anyhow that's my rant about my backup strategy, and reasons to dump Windows.  The other, really good reason to dump it, is it's huge upgrades, that take for ever, on a low end machine.  I don't have a powerhouse, I don't need one for home use, but I'd like to have something that isn't a slug.  And apparently it's windows that makes it a slug.  It's not made for low end Celeron machines, two cores is not enough for it. Come to think of it, my phone has more cores :P
  Anyhow, I'm hoping to make the full transition back to fully linux OS at home in a month or so. Just doing the copying and moving of my more important files.  My main backup strategy is Google Drive, and SmugMug for my images.  I don't need more at this time.  Alright :) that's it for now be back once I move totally to linux on the little Acer laptop

No comments:

Post a Comment